The weather is getting warmer, and that can only mean one thing: Summer is quickly approaching! It’s time to shake off the winter blues and get ready for an active and vibrant season. But before jumping into the deep end, it’s important that patients know how to keep themselves healthy. North Carolina summers can be pretty intense. While the heat and the sun are good things to enjoy, overdoing it can lead to other problems. Read on for a list of tips and tricks for keeping you and your family healthy this summer.
- Exercise. Summer is the perfect time to get outside and be more active. There are plenty of warm-weather sports and activities to participate in. Whether it’s jogging on the track or swimming laps in the pool, the options are endless. Get your heart rate up and keep yourself limber to stay healthy over the summer.
- Stay Hydrated. Staying hydrated is one of the best things you can do for your body, especially in extremely warm weather. Be sure to drink lots of water, and invest in a canteen or water bottle so you can carry your drink with you on the go.
- Keep Cool. Summer heat means that you run the risk of getting overheated if you’re not careful. Exercise and activity are important, but be sure to monitor your physical status and take frequent breaks, especially if you’re outdoors. Furthermore, wear removable layers to prevent heat from getting trapped next to your skin.
- Wear Supportive Shoes. This might sound like it’s coming out of left field, but the truth is that your shoes play a critical role in your posture and, by extension, your overall health. It’s essential that your feet have the support they need to keep your spine standing straight and tall. While flip-flops may be the summer fashion, consider something equally breathable but more supportive.
- De-stress. Summer is a time to relax and unwind. You must make time to de-stress and take advantage of everything summer has to offer. Holding stress in your body can have negative effects on everything from your nervous system to your musculoskeletal system.
Whether you have active concerns or you just want to keep your body in tip-top shape for the summer, we encourage you to visit our chiropractic offices. Our team here at DiBella Chiropractic Center would be glad to meet with you and get started. Contact us today to schedule an appointment!